Shir Khurma (Sevaiya)

I made this very simple dessert as part of my Pakistani meal. However, sevaiya or what we call kheer is prepared using a similar recipe in a lot of the neighboring states. In Maharashtra we call this sevaiyachi kheer.


I picked this dessert for a reason. It takes me back to my college dorm. I shared a room with two other girls and one of them celebrated Eid at home. Her sister-in-law made the most delicious pot of shir khurma and my roommate brought us pretty good size portions. Unfortunately we had to share it with our rather large circle of friends. As roommates we thought we were entitled to a larger share. We were crazy back then. So we would save a good big portion for us and pretend as if the shir khurma came in a much smaller container than it really did. We would have a light dinner and then share the contents of the smaller container. It would be gone within minutes. When all our friends would leave we opened up the saved portion and ate to our hearts content. Putting this down in words makes it sound so weird but back then it seemed perfectly right. I savored the taste of this dessert recalling all those old memories.

You will need
3 cups milk (whole milk or 50% whole milk and 50% lower fat milk)
1/2 cup cream
2 handfuls vermicelli
2 tbsp. slivered almonds
2 tbsp. pistachios
2 tbsp. raisins
1 tbsp. dried dates, chopped (I left these out)
2 pods cardamom, shelled and seeds pounded to a powder
1 tbsp. ghee

Soak the nuts in a little milk for 3-4 hours. Drain and keep aside.


Roast the vermicelli in the ghee with the cardamom powder. Cool and keep aside with the nuts and raisins.


Bring the milk and cream to a boil. Lower heat and add the vermicelli and nuts. Let it simmer until the vermicelli softened and the sevaiya thicken to the desired consistency.


Turn off heat.


Shir khurma can be served hot or cold.



Comments

  1. it also reminds me of Eid...like i mentioned earlier, loved to read your experience..lovely looking kheer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, shir khurma always reminds me of Eid. Yummy kheer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just had it for dessert...And this is a must on Diwali..very well made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your write up reminds me of my friends in college where they used to do the exact same thing when we used to bring them home cooked meal! It's a natural thing to do i guess :).And the kheer looks very tempting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.