Sourdough Bread Rolls

Small single serve crusty rolls go very well with soup. I have always admired the basket of artisan crusty loaves that accompanies dinner in nice restaurants. The crust is crunchy but wafer thin and the crumb is open, soft and chewy. The rolls add substance to the soup and make it a filling meal. This is my simple attempt at recreating that beauty.


With these loaves for the very first time I managed to get a ear. For the uninitiated, the ability to make the bread rise through the score line is good but to have the score line open up is something else altogether. It is success at scoring and takes a lot of practice. In my case it was pure accident but I was over the moon. If I can replicate this success then I will say I have mastered the technique. Until then I will be happy that I did it once. Maybe I am crazy, but then life is all about simple pleasures, right?


We really liked the flavor of the batard after I accidentally bulk fermented it for a really long time. This time I deliberately increased the bulk fermentation time from 6 hours to 12. I then shaped the rolls, put them on a baking sheet, covered it with a tea towel and put it in the refrigerator to keep overnight. Three days later I had still not baked the rolls. Weekdays are just so busy. By the time the weekend rolled around again the bread had been in the refrigerator for five days. I took it out wondering if I would have to throw it away. That was when I noticed it had started to bubble along the bottom. Very reluctantly I smelled the dough. It had a very pleasing smell. All was good. I reshaped the dough and baked the rolls. And success! Not sure how I am going to replicate that. But I think I had been under proofing the dough all along. At the very least I will increase the fermentation time or leave the dough at room temperature a little longer before putting it in the refrigerator.

For two rolls
You will need
200 gm white whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur)
130 gm water
100 gm fed sourdough starter
6 gm salt

In a mixing bowl mix all the ingredients to form a soft dough. Cover and keep aside for half an hour. Reach over and pull the dough on the far side of the dough and stretch it towards you. Fold it over the top. Turn the bowl a quarter turn. Repeat stretching and folding until you make a full turn. Cover and keep aside. Repeat stretch and fold twice more with a half hour rest. Cover and keep the dough for a 12 hour bulk fermentation. If your kitchen is hot or humid keep the bowl in the refrigerator.

Transfer the dough to a floured work surface. Divide the dough into two. Work with one portion of dough. Fold the dough in from all sides and form a ball. Roll it on the work surface and keep it on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Repeat with the other portion. Cover the rolls and put them in the refrigerator overnight. 

The next morning preheat the oven to 450 F. Put a baking sheet in the oven to heat it. Just before you are ready to bake score the top of each roll end to end along the length. Place the rolls on the hot sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Lower the temperature to 400 F and bake another 15 minutes.


Enjoy!

Comments

  1. You have been doling out sourdough breads one after another and they all are looking amazing. I honestly didn't know that the scoreline opening up during baking was a difficult art to master. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG the crust of the bread is making me crazy... looks stunning...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It opened up beautifully neat the score. You have done it once and will get again very. Bread rolls have came out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This seems to be easy sourdough recipe. Bookmarking. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You ate a pro Varada and you can overcome any bread related problems. Well made bread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your notes about the dough has some points to note. But first I need to step into the world of sourdough :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh god, how beautiful they are, those bread rolls looks like the one i get usually from my nearby bakery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. another beautiful looking bread Varada, i so badly want to start out on these now

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to see so many sourdough baked Varada.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't believe those beauties are homemade -- they look like they are from a bakery. Perfectly done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautifully made!..so rustic and artistic.......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sourdough is a far away land for me.. But personally m loving all ur bakes ! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  13. All hail the Sourdough Queen!!! Loaves look so professional varada!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Varada, I am so tempted to make this roll as this seems to be the easiest of the sour dough recipes you have! I am going to message you for all sort of questions soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am running out of words Varada. These rolls look fabulous. Need to learn a lot from you about bread baking..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Varada what can I say like gayatri says I am running out of words. I ma tempted to try thes eloves now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks awesome Varada! I wouldn't even attempt such a thing!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.