Zucchini and Tofu No Noodle Lasagna

Today I will present a lasagna made with zucchini ribbons in place of noodles. I made the noodles using my new kitchen toy - the Veggie Bullet. Among other things it can cut vegetables into ribbons. These ribbons can be used as lasagna noodles. Since I got the toy I am on the lookout for veggies that I can turn to noodles. Vegetables noodles cook quickly and taste best when they are cooked but crisp. So you do not need elaborate sauces to make this lasagna.


I made this lasagna after my daughter left for school. I can't wait for her to be back so I can make this for her. My husband enjoyed the lasagna. I made it in a very small springform pan as a single serving. You can double the recipe. Ingredients are approximate. You can mix and match in proportions that suit your taste. The trick is to not overcook the vegetables.

You will need (single serving)
1 small zucchini
1/2 cup extra firm tofu cut into cubes
2 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
1/4 small onion
salt and pepper to taste
a little oil to caramelize the onions

Using your Veggie Bullet cut the zucchini into ribbons. Alternately, you could use a sharp knife to cute the zucchini into thin long slices. Sprinkle some salt over the zucchini and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes.


Preheat the oven to 350 F. Dab the liquid from the zucchini with a towel and place the ribbons on a baking tray and bake for 5 minutes. Flip over and bake for another 5 minutes.


Meanwhile add the oil to a pan and saute the onions until tender and sweet. Keep aside. To the same pan add the cubes tofu with some salt and pepper. Let it heat completely. Keep aside.


To assemble, place half the zucchini ribbons on the bottom of the pan. Since my pan is nonstick I did not prepare it with oil/butter. You can rub some oil/butter on the bottom to prevent sticking.


Layer the onions over the top.


Add half the tofu and place a slice of cheese over it.


Repeat all the layers starting with the zucchini ribbons.


Bake in the preheated over at 350F for about 20 minutes or until the cheese melts and all the layers are heated through. Switch to broil and let the cheese brown on the top.


Enjoy!















This is my entry for week one, day one of BM #81 for the theme Lasagna. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#81.

Comments

  1. What a fantastic idea Varada, and your new toy looks awesome. Even I have been toying with the idea of getting one..this lasagna surely sounds great for me to get that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now a days refrigerated produce section is filled with variety of veggie noodles. I am yet to try these noodles. Lasagna sounds like a nice way introduce these noodles to my kitchen. Looks delicious and am sure your daughter would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of using zucchini instead of noodles. Lasagna looks so delicious and also like the idea of making it as single serving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is such a healthy take on carb rich lasagna. Looks so cheesy & delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Varada, that is fantastic choice for someone who is on a diet. I will miss my carb, but can deal with it once in a while as I love zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah this looks inviting. Lovely way to use this vege too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that fantastic zucchini and tofu loaded lasagna, love the addition of tofu here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such an awesome idea, Varada. My older one was after me to make zucchini based dishes. I shall surprise her with this version!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so interesting.. Such a lovely thought ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic idea. Loved the zucchini ribbons..

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's one healthy and filling meal. I think I need to get that new toy to experiment with all the noodles and pastas everyone's making.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My kids don't like zucchini. Probably with this lasagne I'll be able to feed them some. My son goes for looks first and this lasagne is no doubt looking tempting

    ReplyDelete
  13. i cant say more varada, i need to google that veggie bullet, you could have put a pic of your new toy, or i must have missed from yur previous post!!!
    love this no noodles lasagna, so healthy, filling and yummm!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.